ASSISTANCE WITH HONEYBEE SWARMS
Please read the following information /links to sites to help identify what species of bee you are dealing with.
Beekeepers are usually able to help retrieve a swarm of honeybees, some examples below:
Bees found underground, under sheds or in bird boxes etc. are not honeybees and are generally harmless if undisturbed and are one of several “short cycle species”, meaning that the nest will only be occupied for a few, short, summer months. In these cases, create a barrier around the general area, if necessary, to prevent disturbance of the nest by children/pets, and enjoy being a ‘bee landlord’ watching their fascinating comings and goings.
If you think you have a swarm of honeybees, please take several photos and be prepared with the following information when you contact us:
- Describe what you have seen or ideally send a picture.
- Size of cluster/how many (eg. football size etc)?
- Honey bee swarms are in the thousands not a dozen or so
- Location/access (indoors, outdoors, chimney, etc)?
- Height (eg. 1st floor, roof top)?
- How long have they been there?
- Have you called anyone else?
- Address/directions/parking including postcode?
- Contact number?
- Please inform the beekeeper if the swarm leaves before the beekeeper arrives or if someone else collects it to save a wasted journey.
- Do not give multiple beekeepers the details once one has agreed to attend.
We regret that we are unable to offer assistance in removing bees or wasps from:
- roof spaces
- inside walls
- locations requiring specialist climbing and or excessive height
Tree Bumble Bees: Tree Bumblebee Bombus hypnorum – Bumblebee Conservation Trust
Identifying UK Bees: Types of Bee in the UK: How to Tell the Difference – Woodland Trust (doesn’t include wasps)
Facts about wasps (Vespula Vulgaris) Common Wasp (Vespula vulgaris) – Woodland Trust
When you are sure you have a swarm of honeybees, please contact us at email so that we can put you in touch with a local beekeeper who may be able to help or call Sonya on 07796 322137